Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lit Circle Blogpost #5

When Jonas was talking to the giver and he said I can't go back, I can't, it showed what would happen if he was able to make choices everyday. He didn't want to go home because he was under a lot of stress and he thought that if he went home, that guilt would still be inside him and he would just have to tell his father what he has done and what knowledge he has gained from the tape the Giver played. What I mean by that is, when he has the choice of going back to his house and he doesn't, it shows that sometimes in Jonas' community, choices are good but sometimes they make you stress out and you start thinking about things that could happen and sometimes they might not be good either. " I won't! I won't go home! You can't make me!". Jonas sobbed and shouted and pounded the bed with his fists. "Sit up, Jonas, " The Giver told him firmly. Jonas obeyed him. Weeping, shuddering, he sat on the edge of the bed. He would not look at the Giver. " You may stay here tonight. I want to talk to you. But you must be quiet now, while I notify your family unit. No one must hear you cry."

The next morning when Jonas had a feeling that told him to not take the pill, he said that this could be love. What I think he means by that is when he was talking to the giver, and he says what if Fiona finds out that the old's get killed too. I think he says that because he cares about Fiona a lot and for the first time, he is experiencing love." What about me? Do you lie to me too?" Jonas almost spat the question at the Giver. " I am empowered to lie but I have never lied to you". jonas stared at him. " Release is always like that? For people who break the rules three times? For the old? Do they kill the old too?" when he says that,it really says that he cares about Fiona and if she ever finds out, he wants there to be no impact on Fiona. The same thing might happen to Fiona. She could be very shocked and she might want to ask for release. Those are some reasons when freedom and choice in Jonas' community might make a big effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment